Monday, July 16, 2012

DIY: Moroccan Painted Table

I want to start by apologizing for the poor picture quality. I left my camera at home but I really wanted to get shots of what I was doing.

So this weekend I spent my Saturday with my grandma painting these end tables that I plan to put in my bedroom when I move. I went back and forth trying to decide if I should paint them before or after I moved but I figured it would be a lot less stressful to get it out of the way now.

It was a really easy project to customize this cheap Ikea table. The things i used were:
White Acrylic Paint
Stiff Bristle Paint Brush
Blue Painters Tape
Hair Dryer



 I really didn't want the design to be smooth, I wanted to be able to see the table through the paint and have a dabbed effect. After I finished a section, I removed the stencil and used my hair dryer on low to help with drying; the thin coat of paint also helped with drying. Then, I lined the stencil up for the next section of the pattern and repeated until I was finish.



I still have one edge to finish and adding a coat of lacquer to prevent the design from coming off. Eventually I want to put a piece of glass on top of added protection. It took me about 2 hours with a snack break to do the entire table and it came out a lot better than I expected. I will post pictures of it in my room once I move. You will have to wait a little longer for that post. 


I hope you like it and it has inspired you to re-purpose a boring piece of furniture you have. Its feels good when you have given something a new look!


That's Amore
Leslie   




No comments:

Post a Comment